Portland Plastic Surgery Group
1200 Northwest Naito Parkway #310
Portland, OR 97209
Phone: (503) 292-9200
Fax: (503) 292-9205
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Women consider breast augmentation surgery for many personal reasons, which may include one or a combination of the following:
- Increasing the size of naturally small breasts
- Restoring breast volume that was lost after pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Attaining balance between breasts when one is smaller than the other
- Defining cleavage between the breasts
- Enhancing a sense of femininity
Combining Breast Augmentation With Breast Lift Surgery
In addition to breast augmentation, a breast lift may be required to give you the attractive shape you want. Although breast implants on their own can provide a marginal lift, adding a breast lift prevents premature sagging after the implants are placed. This is also a common choice among women who have had children or lost a large amount of weight, because the shape and position of their breasts are often a concern, in addition to volume. These 2 procedures are easily performed together and can create an impressive result once you’re fully healed.
Other Commonly Combined Procedures
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost in Portland?
At Portland Plastic Surgery Group, the cost for a breast augmentation starts at $8,010, which includes your plastic surgeon’s fee, breast implants, post-surgical garments, the surgery facility fee, the anesthesiologist’s fee, and CosmetAssure insurance.
The costs associated with a breast augmentation may increase based on the complexity of your surgery, the amount of time needed for the operation, and the implants that you choose. During your consultation, you and your surgeon will discuss the options that are available and create a surgical plan that is unique to you. A personalized surgery quote will be provided at your consultation.
Breast Augmentation Incisions
With every procedure we perform, Portland Plastic Surgery Group considers the individual patient and her unique goals and concerns. Your surgeon will work closely with you, guiding you through your options so that your breast augmentation reflects your personal style. In addition to helping you choose your breast implants, your surgeon will help you select your incision and implant placement.
Breast augmentation is performed using one of the following incision options (see illustration):
- An inframammary incision is placed in the fold below the breast.
- A periareolar incision is placed along the lower edge of the dark skin around the nipple (the areola).
- A transaxillary incision is placed within a natural crease of the armpit.
Your choice for breast augmentation incision depends on a variety of considerations including:
- Personal preference: Is it important to you to have no scar on the breast?
- Type of breast implants: Saline typically requires a smaller incision than silicone.
- Whether a breast lift is also being performed: Implants can be inserted through the breast lift incisions, if so.
After your surgeon makes the incision, he or she creates a space for the breast implant called the pocket using one of the following techniques (see illustration):
- Submuscular placement is behind the breast tissue and chest muscle, which provides greatest coverage of the upper portion of the implant and usually the most natural-looking results.
- Subglandular placement is behind the breast tissue and above the chest muscle. This placement is appropriate only for women who have enough natural breast tissue.
Your surgeon will discuss both options with you, and make a recommendation that accounts for your natural anatomy, your personal preferences, and the type of implant you have chosen. For answers to common questions about breast augmentation, visit our Breast Augmentation FAQ page.
Breast Implant Choices
At Portland Plastic Surgery Group, we primarily use Sientra Silicone Gel Breast Implants. Sientra Breast Implants are FDA approved and have an unrivaled safety profile, with some of the lowest complication rates clinically shown through a robust 10-year study*. Not only are Sientra Breast Implants safe, but they are also backed by their Platinum 20™ year warranty which provides the longest length of coverage, most financial assistance, and least restrictions in the industry.
Sientra Breast Implants are designed to hold their shape while maintaining a remarkably soft feel. With two surface types, over 375 implant options, and 6 projection levels, Sientra Breast Implants can help you see the look you’ve always wanted.
At Portland Plastic Surgery Group, our surgeons perform breast augmentation at a local surgery center while you are under general anesthesia. Your surgeon carefully follows the treatment plan you developed together during your consultation.
We begin by making an incision in your preferred location and then creating a pocket for the implant within your breast tissue. We place the implant inside this pocket. If you selected saline implants, your implants are added while empty and filled once they’re in place. We check your implants for symmetry before closing your incisions with sutures.
After your procedure is over, our surgical team moves you to a recovery area where you can wake up comfortably. After a brief period of observation, you are sent home with a friend or loved one who can help you with your care.
See Your Potential With VECTRA® 3-D Imaging
We're excited to offer breast augmentation patients the opportunity to visualize their own possible results prior to surgery thanks to the innovative VECTRA 3-D imaging system. Using a composite photo of your body, you and your surgeon can work together to picture your ideal outcome, leading to results that are perfectly planned just for you.
Tips To Help You Prepare for Surgery
The following preparations will allow you to relax and focus on yourself after surgery:
- Arrange for an adult to help you with young children and pets
- Set up a bed with extra pillows or a recliner to help you sleep on your back comfortably
- Make sure your home is clean and orderly
- Fill prescriptions for your regular medications and those you will need for recovery
- Take care of any errands that can’t wait a couple of weeks
If you smoke, it is critical that you quit at least 4 weeks before the surgery and do not resume smoking during your recovery. Better yet, use this as an opportunity to quit smoking for good.
Make sure to have the following on hand before surgery day:
- Heating pad (in case you experience back pain–not for the breasts)
- Ice packs to reduce swelling (place a washcloth or hand towel between the pack and your skin)
- Plenty of tops that zip or button up in the front (i.e., nothing you have to pull over your head)
- Comfortable pants, such as yoga pants
- Ginger ale, Sprite, or 7-Up to sip if you feel nauseous from the pain medication or anesthesia
- Bland foods, such as oatmeal, bananas, rice, or toast in case nausea is an issue
- Books and TV remotes accessible from the place you will be resting most often
After your procedure, you can expect some temporary discomfort and swelling. This is completely normal. By allowing yourself time to rest, taking prescribed pain medication as needed, and carefully following your surgeon’s instructions, you can ensure that any adverse effects will fade as quickly as possible.
Resuming Normal Activities
Most women take between a few days and 1 week off from work, depending on the nature of their jobs. Many of our patients are anxious to return to the gym, but it’s important to avoid strenuous activities for about 6 weeks. That’s especially true for any upper body workouts.
That said, it is important to walk and move around to maintain healthy blood flow, even on the day of the surgery. You’ll need to start very simple (as in taking a lap around the house), but increase the duration and intensity of exercise gradually. During your consultation, we give you a more thorough overview of your expected timeline. Once you are fully recovered, you’ll be able to enjoy your beautiful new breasts for many years to come.
Is breast enhancement surgery safe?
When performed by a highly trained and experienced plastic surgeon in a certified surgery center on a carefully screened patient, breast enhancement surgery is considered safe.
How do I know what size implants to get?
It is helpful to have a general idea of the size you’d like your breasts to be after surgery, so look through our breast augmentation before & after photos for cases you like. Your plastic surgeon will determine an appropriate breast implant size by accounting for your unique anatomy (e.g., the width of your chest and hips), existing breast tissue, lifestyle, and other factors.
I had a breast augmentation several years ago and want to update my results. What are my options?
It’s not uncommon for women to consider a secondary procedure if the results of their primary augmentations were unfavorable or are less prominent. We offer breast augmentation revision to help these patients get the natural-looking, long-lasting results they want, with minimal additional scarring.
If you’re looking in the Portland area for a breast augmentation specialist, request a consultation online to meet with one of our board‐certified plastic surgeons. Or you can call our office at (503) 292-9200 to schedule an appointment.
Before & After Photos
This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
* Stevens WG et al. Ten-year core study data for Sientra’s Food and Drug Administration—approved round and shaped breast implants with cohesive silicone gel. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018;141(4S):7S-19S.